Almond milk is a tasty and nutrient-rich product that is recommended for children (not infants) and adults. People looking for a substitute for milk, they generally vote for almond milk.
Are you vegan or lactose intolerant or you just don’t like the taste of milk? Then, this article about almond milk is going to be of a great help. Do you know that almond milk is not only the healthiest substitute of milk but a good source of Vitamin E as well? Here is, how to prepare and benefits of almond milk. Let me tell you something about its benefits and how to prepare it at home.
Benefits of Almond Milk
1Good For Weight Management
One cup of almond milk contains only 60 calories as compared to cow’s milk that contains as high calories as 146. Therefore, if you are working on your weight, you can use almond milk. It will definitely help you in losing some unwanted pounds.
2Good For Heart
Do you know that almond milk is free of cholesterol or saturated fat? Almond milk does not contribute to the thickening of the heart’s arteries, prevents cardiovascular diseases.
This attribute of almond milk makes it an awesome deal for those who are struggling with cardiovascular troubles. In addition, almond milk is also low in sodium and high in healthy fats like omega fatty acids. If you don’t know, then these fats are good at preventing hypertension and heart disease.
3Good For Immunity
Although it does not provide an equal amount of calcium like cow milk, yet, the almond milk provides 30% of the recommended daily amount, and 25% of the recommended amount of vitamin D. This not only reduce the risk of arthritis and osteoporosis but also enhance the immune system.
4Good For Skin
Do you know that almond milk contains 50% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin E?
Almond milk contains antioxidant properties that are a must for healthy skin and protect us from the sun damage.
5Good For Blood Sugar
If you are not using packed almond milk with added sugar or other additives, you can be sure of a milk that is low in carbohydrates. In simpler terms, almond milk significantly increases blood sugar levels, thus reducing the risk of developing diabetes.
6Good For Anemia
With its high content of protein, minerals, and vitamins, almond milk is recommended for strengthening the body and for the treatment of anemia.
Almond milk contains more vitamin E and magnesium than spinach.
In addition, almond milk has a significant amount of phosphorus, hence, it helps strengthen the bones and teeth.
ALSO READ – Health Benefits Of Drinking Soy Milk
7Good For Bones and Health of Teeth
If you drink one cup of 250 ml almond milk a day, you are done with 30 percent of your daily calcium needs. Almond milk also contains 25% of the vitamin D, which is a must for healthy bones and the teeth. Additionally, calcium is also important for the prevention of bone diseases, especially osteoporosis.
8Good For Lactose Intolerant People
The cases of lactose intolerance are not new. Lactose intolerance means having difficulties in digesting the sugar in cow’s milk. In such cases, almond milk is a great alternative.
In addition to all these benefits, there are some negatives as well. First of all, almond milk should not be replaced with cow’s milk, when it is about a baby’s diet. Let me tell you that almond milk simply does not contain all the nutrients that any baby needs.
How To Prepare Almond Milk At Home
- To prepare almond milk at home, you don’t need to master anything and you don’t need any special ingredient than a good amount of almonds.
- To start with, you need 150 grams of almonds and 350 ml of water.
- Put the almonds in a large bowl filled with water. Let it soak for 4-5 hours.
- Once the almonds are swollen, you need to peel the skin.
- If even after soaking it is not coming off, you can put them in the boiling water for few minutes and this will make skin peeling easier.
- Now, you have almond without skin. And, you need to put those white almonds in another bowl.
- Once done, put them in a blender and grind as small as possible.
- Then add a cup of water and mix it well until it is homogenized.
- At the end, add the remaining 350 ml remaining water.
- Finally, you will get a white composition like milk.
- You need to strain that through the gauze to obtain almond milk.
- Don’t worry about the pulp. You can use that as an ingredient in cakes or other sweet dishes.
You can refrigerate this milk for 2-3 days. It remains in good condition.
Don’t get me wrong, but by replacing your baby milk powder or breast milk with almond milk, you may be putting your baby under the threats of malnutrition. Almonds contain natural chemicals that could prevent your body from absorbing and using the iodine as it should, hence it could affect your thyroid as well.